May aid in monitoring glucose control for diabetes in specific disorders. Not recommended as a substitute for hemoglobin A1c except in specific populations.
Within 24 hours
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube. Also acceptable: Pink (K2EDTA), or green (lithium heparin).
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow specimen to clot completely at room temperature before centrifuging. Transfer 0.5 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.3 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Hemolyzed specimens (may cause falsely elevated results).
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 72 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 2 months
Nondiabetic: 170-285 µmol/L
Variations in levels of serum proteins (albumin and immunoglobulins) may affect fructosamine results.
High levels of ascorbic acid interfere with the fructosamine assay. Patients should abstain from ascorbic acid supplements for a minimum of 24 hours prior to sample collection.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|