- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), plasma preparation tube (PPT), or serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells within 6 hours. Transfer 3.5 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 1.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Heparinized specimens.
- On Cells: Ambient: 6 hours; After separation from cells: Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: 6 weeks
Limit of detection (LOD):
All genotypes - 18 IU/mL (1.2 log IU/mL). Genotype 1 - 7.1 IU/mL (0.85 log IU/mL).
LOD values do not apply to diluted specimens.
An interpretation of "Not Detected" does not rule out the presence of PCR inhibitors in the patient specimen or hepatitis C virus RNA concentrations below the level of detection of the test. Care should be taken when interpreting any single viral load determination.
This test should not be used for blood donor screening, associated re-entry protocols, or for screening Human Cell, Tissues and Cellular Tissue-Based Products (HCT/P).
Specimens received with less than minimum volume for testing will automatically be run with a dilution according to the guidelines below:
-Specimens with 500-1000 µL will be diluted resulting in a modification of the quantitative range of the assay to 1.9-8.1 log IU/mL (88-140,000,000 IU/mL).
-Specimens with 200-500 µL will be diluted resulting in a modification of the quantitative range of the assay to 2.3-8.5 log IU/mL (219-350,000,000 IU/mL).
This test is intended for use in conjunction with clinical presentation and other laboratory markers as an indicator of disease prognosis. This test is also used in assessing viral response to antiretroviral treatment as measured by changes in HCV RNA levels.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0051819||HCV RNA Qnt Real-Time PCR Interp|
|0099030||HCV RNA Qnt Real-Time PCR|
|2002324||HCV RNA Qnt Real-Time PCR|
|2005724||EER Hepatitis C Virus RNA Quant RT-PCR|
- HCV Viral Load (Hepatitis C Virus RNA Quantitative, Real-Time PCR)