Aids in clinical management of HIV-positive individuals.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), or green (sodium or lithium heparin). Hemogard tubes are preferred for laboratory automation and safety.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 4 mL whole blood. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL ROOM TEMPERATURE.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Clotted or hemolyzed.
- Specimens must be analyzed within stability times provided. Some medications may affect immunophenotyping results and should be listed on the patient test request form.
This test is not approved for New York State Clients
- EDTA: Ambient: 72 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
Heparin: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
Reports include age appropriate reference intervals and interpretation.
Reference Interval Notes:
Pediatric reference values (0 - 6 days up to 10 - 15 years) taken from Scandinavian Journal of Immunology 2012; 75, 436-444.
Adult and Geriatric (16 - 64 and 65 plus years) ranges were developed in-lab.
|Test Number||Components||0-6 days||1 week - 1 month||2-4 months||5-8 months||9-14 months||15-23 months||2-4 years||5-9 years||10-15 years||16-64 years||65 years or older|
|Absolute CD4||1000-4800 cells/µL||1500-6000 cells/µL||1600-6500 cells/µL||1000-7200 cells/µL||1300-7100|
|400-7200 cells/µL||500-2700 cells/µL||400-2500 cells/µL||400-2100 cells/µL||430-1800 cells/µL||490-1600 cells/µL|
During HIV infection, antiviral therapy is often initiated when the absolute CD4 count drops below 500 cells/µL. When the absolute CD4 count drops below 200 cells/µL, therapeutic prophylaxis against PCP and other opportunistic infections may be initiated. When the absolute CD4 count drops below 100 cells/µL, prophylaxis against Mycobacterium avium complex is recommended.
For longitudinal studies involving serial monitoring, specimen collections should be performed at the same time of day.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Immune Status-Flow Cytometry
- CD4 Count
- Helper T-Cell count
- P. jiroveci prophylaxis determination