Acceptable initial screening test for syphilis. May use to confirm reactive treponemal test (eg, EIA, CIA) if using so-called reverse algorithm testing. Acceptable test for monitoring treatment response in established syphilis.
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Plain red or serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube (Min: 0.25 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- CSF or other body fluids. Contaminated, heat-inactivated, hemolyzed, or severely lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
| ||Treponema pallidum (VDRL), Serum
| ||Treponema pallidum (VDRL) Titer, Serum
||Effective February 18, 2014|
VDRL as a screening test is less sensitive than RPR.
If VDRL is reactive, then a titer will be added. Additional charges apply.
86592; if reflexed, add 86593
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0093094||Treponema pallidum (VDRL) Titer, Serum|
|0098975||Treponema pallidum (VDRL), Serum|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, contact interface support at email@example.com.