Detect HIV-1 RNA and proviral DNA.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Do not freeze specimen. Transport 1 mL whole blood. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Heparinized specimens. Frozen specimens.
- Ambient: 12 hours; Refrigerated: 5 days; Frozen: Unacceptable
A result of "Not Detected" does not rule out HIV-1 nucleic acid concentrations below the limit of detection of the assay or the presence of PCR inhibitors in the patient specimen. Improper specimen handling can cause false negatives. PCR may not detect infection in the first months of life. The diagnosis of HIV-1 infection should be made based on clinical presentation and results from additional diagnostic tests. Diagnosis should not be made based solely on a single HIV-1 test. False positives can be caused by PCR contamination.
This assay should not be used for blood donor screening, associated re-entry protocols, or for screening Human Cell, Tissues and Cellular Tissue-Based Products (HCT/P).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0093062||HIV-1 PCR, Qualitative||44871-2|
- HIV 1 DNA and RNA
- HIV Qualitative
- HIV-1 DNA
- HIV-1 proviral DNA
- HIV1 detection
- Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT)