- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube. Also acceptable: Lavender (EDTA), green (heparin), and yellow (ACD).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 0.5 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.05 mL) Parallel testing is preferred and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of the acute specimens. Mark specimens plainly as "acute" or "convalescent."
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Bacterially contaminated, hemolyzed, or lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
1:16 Equivocal - Repeat testing in 10-14 days may be helpful.
> 1:16 Positive - IgG antibody to Babesia detected, which may indicate a current or past infection.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0093049||Babesia microti IgG||16117-4|
- B microti IgG Ab
- Babesia microti Antibodies (IgG)
- Babesia Microti IgG Ab