- Patient Preparation
- Plain red, green (sodium heparin), lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), or SST.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 4 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma or whole blood collected in lt. blue (sodium citrate). Specimens exposed to repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 3 years
Clinical Chemistry 48:9 1460-1471, 2002
|Unexposed non-tobacco user||Passive exposure||Abstinent user for more than 2 weeks||Active tobacco product use|
|Nicotine||Less than 2 ng/mL||Less than 2 ng/mL||Less than 2 ng/mL||30-50 ng/mL|
|Cotinine||Less than 2 ng/mL||Less than 8 ng/mL||Less than 2 ng/mL||200-800 ng/mL|
|3-OH-Cotinine||Less than 2 ng/mL||Less than 2 ng/mL||Less than 2 ng/mL||100-500 ng/mL|
Positive cutoff: 2 ng/mL
The absence of expected drug(s) and/or drug metabolite(s) may indicate non-compliance, inappropriate timing of specimen collection relative to drug administration, poor drug absorption, or limitations of testing. The concentration value must be greater than or equal to the cutoff to be reported as positive. Interpretive questions should be directed to the laboratory.
For medical purposes only; not valid for forensic use.
See Compliance Statement B: www.aruplab.com/CS
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0092362||Nicotine, Serum or Plasma|
|0092363||Cotinine, Serum or Plasma|
|0092364||3-OH-Cotinine, Serum or Plasma|
- Nicotine and Cotinine, LC/MS/MS, Serum/Plasma
- Pain Management