- Patient Preparation
- Plain red, green (sodium heparin), lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), or SST.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 4 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma or whole blood collected in lt. blue (sodium citrate). Specimens exposed to repeated freeze/thaw cycles. Hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 3 years
|Drugs Covered||Cutoff Concentrations|
|Cotinine (metabolite)||2 ng/mL|
|3-OH-Cotinine (metabolite)||2 ng/mL|
Positive cutoff: 2 ng/mL
For medical purposes only; not valid for forensic use.
This test is designed to evaluate recent use of nicotine-containing products. Passive and active exposure cannot be discriminated definitively, although a cutoff of 10 ng/mL cotinine is frequently used for surgery qualification purposes. For smoking cessation programs or compliance testing, the absence of expected drug(s) and/or drug metabolite(s) may indicate non-compliance, inappropriate timing of specimen collection relative to drug administration, poor drug absorption, or limitations of testing. This test cannot distinguish between use of tobacco and purified nicotine products. The concentration value must be greater than or equal to the cutoff to be reported as positive.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0092362||Nicotine, S/P, Quant||3853-9|
|0092363||Cotinine, S/P, Quant||10365-5|
|0092364||3-OH-Cotinine, S/P, Quant||35140-3|
- Nicotine and Cotinine, LC/MS/MS, Serum/Plasma
- Pain Management