Amiodarone and Metabolite
Quantitative Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Timing of specimen collection: Pre-dose (trough) draw - at steady state concentration.
- Plain red. Also acceptable: Lavender (K2 or K3EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Amber Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Whole blood. Gel separator tubes, light blue (citrate), or yellow (SPS or ACD solution).
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 1 month; Refrigerated: 6 weeks; Frozen: 6 weeks
Effective February 19, 2013
|Therapeutic Range||Total (amiodarone and metabolite): 0.5-2.0 µg/mL|
|Toxic Level||Greater than3.0 µg/mL|
Toxic concentrations may exacerbate arrhythmias, cause liver and lung toxicity, and thyroid dysfunction. The concentration of desmethylamiodarone, an active major metabolite, is also reported, but no therapeutic range is established. At steady-state, the metabolite concentration is similar to the amiodarone concentration.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
- Cordarone (Amiodarone and Metabolite)
- Nexterone (Amiodarone and Metabolite)
- Pacerone (Amiodarone and Metabolite)