The concentration of free testosterone is derived from a mathematical expression based on the constant for the binding of testosterone to sex hormone binding globulin.
- Patient Preparation
- Collect between 6-10 a.m.
- Serum separator tube or green (sodium or lithium heparin).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.8 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- EDTA plasma.
- This test is suggested for women and children due to an improved sensitivity of testosterone by LC-MS/MS.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 6 months
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|0081059||Testosterone Free, Females or Children|| |
|0081058||Testosterone, Females or Children||Effective August 19, 2013
|0099375||Sex Hormone Binding Globulin||
See Compliance Statement B: www.aruplab.com/CS
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0081096||Testosterone, Free LC-MS/MS|
|0099375||Sex Hormone Binding Globulin|
- Testosterone Free (Testosterone, Free & Total (Includes Sex Hormone Binding Globulin), Females or Children)