Lamellar Body Counts
Quantitative Automated Cell Count
Within 24 hours
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Amniocentesis preferred.
- Amniotic fluid.
- Specimen Preparation
- Do not centrifuge. Transport 1 mL amniotic fluid. (Min: 0.25 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Frozen specimens. Vaginal pools containing mucous. Specimens that contain meconium. Grossly hemolyzed specimens.
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: Unacceptable
Greater than or equal to 50 k/uL
A lamellar body count result greater than or equal to 50 k/uL is consistent with fetal lung maturity. Because there is no lamellar body count below which fetal lung immaturity can be identified with high certainty, a result less than 50 k/uL can only be interpreted as "not mature."
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0080940||Lamellar Body Counts|
- Lamella Body Counts (LBC) and Phosphatidylglycerol (PG), Amniotic Fluid (Lamellar Body Counts)
- Lamellar Body Count, Amniotic Fluid (Lamellar Body Counts)
- Lamellar Body Counts (LBC) (Lamellar Body Counts)
- LBC (Lamellar Body Counts)