- Patient Preparation
- Patient should fast for 12 hours and abstain from alcohol for 24 hours prior to collection.
- Green (sodium or lithium heparin), plasma separator tube, or serum separator tube. Also acceptable: Lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Protect from light during collection, storage, and shipment. Separate serum or plasma within 1 hour of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Amber Transport Tube immediately. (Min: 0.2 mL) Avoid hemolysis.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Whole blood or body fluids other than serum or plasma.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 1 month; Frozen: 1 year
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
| ||Vitamin A (Retinol)|
| ||Retinyl Palmitate||0-150 years: 0-0.10 mg/L|
Vitamin A toxicity occurs when retinol concentration exceeds the capacity of retinol binding protein (RBP). Individuals with compromised renal function can retain RBP and may, therefore, have moderate retinol elevations. Drugs which interfere with vitamin A analysis include probucol (Lorelco).
This assay does not measure other vitamin A metabolites such as retinaldehyde and retinoic acid.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0080375||Vitamin A (Retinol)||2923-1|
|0080523||Vitamin A, Ser/Pla - Interpretation||48767-8|
|0080524||Vitamin A (Retinyl Palmitate)||38496-6|
- A Vitamin
- Retinyl palmitate