- Patient Preparation
- Green (heparin), lavender (EDTA), or plain red
- Specimen Preparation
- CRITICAL: Protect from light during collection, storage, and shipment. Separate plasma or serum from cells within 1 hour of collection. Transfer 2 mL plasma or serum to an ARUP Amber Transport Tube. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Body fluids other than plasma or serum. Frozen whole blood. Hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 4 days; Frozen: 1 month
Specimens from patients with suspected erythropoietic protoporphyria should be carefully protected from exposure to light.
Protoporphyrin is extremely light sensitive, whereas uroporphyrin and coproporphyrin are much less sensitive.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0080433||Porphyrins, Total, Plasma/Serum||33311-2|
|0084037||Porphyrins, Total, Plasma/Serum, Interp.||14883-3|
- Variegate Porphyria Porphyrin
- VP Porphyrin