Alpha Fetoprotein, Serum (Tumor Marker)
Quantitative Chemiluminescent Immunoassay
Within 24 hours
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Plain red or serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow specimen to clot completely at room temperature. Separate serum from cells within 4 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- CSF (refer to Alpha Fetoprotein, CSF (Tumor Marker), ARUP test code 0020729) or plasma. Grossly hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 year
Effective February 19, 2013
|0-13days||5,000-105,000 ng/mL||5,000-105,000 ng/mL|
|14-30 days||300-60,000 ng/mL||300-60,000 ng/mL|
|1 month||100-10,000 ng/mL||100-10,000 ng/mL|
|2 months||40-1,000 ng/mL||40-1,000 ng/mL|
|3 months||11-300 ng/mL||11-300 ng/mL|
|4 months||5-200 ng/mL||5-200 ng/mL|
|5 months||0-90 ng/mL||0-90 ng/mL|
|6-11 months||0-90 ng/mL||0-99 ng/mL|
|1 year||0-19 ng/mL||0-36 ng/mL|
|2 years||0-12 ng/mL||0-12 ng/mL|
|3-6 years||0-5 ng/mL||0-5 ng/mL|
|7 years and older||0-9 ng/mL||0-9 ng/mL|
The Beckman Coulter Access DxI AFP method is used. Results obtained with different assay methods or kits cannot be used interchangeably. AFP is a valuable aid in the management of nonseminomatous testicular cancer patients when used in conjunction with information available from the clinical evaluation and other diagnostic procedures. Increased AFP concentrations have also been observed in ataxia telangiectasia, hereditary tyrosinemia, primary hepatocellular carcinoma, teratocarcinoma, gastrointestinal tract cancers with and without liver metastases, and in benign hepatic conditions such as acute viral hepatitis, chronic active hepatitis, and cirrhosis. The result cannot be interpreted as absolute evidence of the presence or absence of malignant disease. The result is not interpretable as a tumor marker in pregnant females.
Adult males and nonpregnant females: 0.0-9.0 ng/mL
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0080428||Alpha Fetoprotein Tumor Marker|
- AFP (Alpha Fetoprotein, Serum (Tumor Marker))