- Patient Preparation
- Abstain from medications for 72 hours prior to collection.
- 24-hour or random urine. Refrigerate 24-hour specimens during collection.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 4 mL aliquot from a well-mixed 24-hour or random collection to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 1 mL) Record total volume and collection time interval on transport tube and test request form.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimen types other than urine.
- Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 2 weeks
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|Homovanillic Acid - per 24h||18 years and older: 0.0-15.0 mg/d|
|Homovanillic Acid - ratio to CRT||The HVA-to-creatinine ratio will be reported when the patient is under 18 years, the urine collection is random or other than 24 hours, or the urine volume is less than 400 mL/24 hours.
|Creatinine, Urine - per 24h|| |
Medications that may interfere with catecholamines and their metabolites include amphetamines and amphetamine-like compounds, appetite suppressants, bromocriptine, buspirone, caffeine, chlorpromazine, clonidine, disulfiram, diuretics (in doses sufficient to deplete sodium), epinephrine, glucagon, guanethidine, histamine, hydrazine derivatives, imipramine, levodopa (L-dopa, Sinemet®), lithium, MAO inhibitors, melatonin, methyldopa (Aldomet®), morphine, nitroglycerin, nose drops, propafenone (Rythmol), radiographic agents, rauwolfia alkaloids (Reserpine), and vasodilators. The effects of some drugs on catecholamine metabolite results may not be predictable.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume||20624-3|
|0020208||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h||2162-6|
|0080164||Homovanillic Acid - per 24h||12715-9|
|0080399||Homovanillic Acid Interpretation||49269-4|
|0081305||Homovanillic Acid - per volume||53595-5|
|0081342||Homovanillic Acid - ratio to CRT||13760-4|
- 3-Methoxy-4-Hydroxy Phenylacetic Acid
- 3-Methoxy-4-hydroxyphenyl acetic acid
- 4-Hydroxy-3-methoxy-benzeneacetic acid
- 4-Hydroxy-3-methoxyphenylacetic acid