Use to diagnose and monitor carcinoid tumors. Preferred serotonin test since most of the blood serotonin resides in the platelets.
- Patient Preparation
- Abstain from medications for 72 hours prior to collection.
- Lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Place on ice. Transfer 3 mL whole blood to an ARUP Serotonin Transport Tube containing ascorbic acid (ARUP supply #16568). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 1 mL) Mix well. Specimen must be preserved and frozen within 2 hours of collection.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL FROZEN. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Non-frozen specimens. Specimens other than whole blood.
- Serotonin, Serum (ARUP test code 0080397) is recommended for patients that are difficult to draw.
- After transfer to Serotonin Transport Tube: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 1 month
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0080395||Serotonin, Whole Blood||2939-7|
- 5-Hydroxy Tryptamine