Serotonin, Whole Blood
Quantitative High Performance Liquid Chromatography
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Abstain from medications for 72 hours prior to collection.
- Lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Place on ice. Transfer 3 mL whole blood to an ARUP Serotonin Transport Tube containing ascorbic acid (ARUP supply #16568). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 1 mL) Mix well. Specimen must be preserved and frozen within 2 hours of collection.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL FROZEN. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Non-frozen specimens. Specimens other than whole blood.
- Serotonin, Serum (ARUP test code 0080397) is recommended for patients that are difficult to draw.
- After transfer to Serotonin Transport Tube: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 1 month
See Compliance Statement B: www.aruplab.com/CS
Medications that may affect serotonin concentrations include lithium, MAO inhibitors, methyldopa, morphine, and reserpine. In general, foods that contain serotonin do not interfere significantly. Slight increases may be seen in acute intestinal obstruction, acute MI, cystic fibrosis, dumping syndromes, and nontropical sprue. Metastasizing abdominal carcinoid tumors often show serotonin concentrations greater than 400 ng/mL.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0080395||Serotonin, Whole Blood|
- 5-HT (Serotonin, Whole Blood)
- 5-Hydroxytryptamine (Serotonin, Whole Blood)