- Patient Preparation
- Green (sodium or lithium heparin). Place specimen in ice bath immediately. Also acceptable: Plasma separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Centrifuge, transfer plasma and freeze within 1 hour of collection. Transfer 0.5 mL plasma to an ARUP Amber Transport Tube. (Min: 0.3 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL FROZEN AND LIGHT PROTECTED. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered
- Unacceptable Conditions
- EDTA plasma, whole blood, or body fluids.
- Thawing and refreezing of the specimen and exposure to light will result in decreased Vitamin C concentration.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 1 year
Vitamin C concentration is reported as micromoles per liter (µmol/L). To convert concentration to milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), multiply the result by 0.0176.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0080380||Vitamin C, Plasma|