- Patient Preparation
- Patient should be fasting and at complete rest. Patient should avoid any exercise of the arm or hand before or during collection. Draw the specimen without the use of a tourniquet or within three minutes of applying the tourniquet, but before releasing the tourniquet.
- Specimen Preparation
- 1) Immediately after CSF is drawn, add exactly 1 mL CSF to a chilled pyruvate collection tube containing 2 mL 8 percent (w/v) perchloric acid (ARUP supply #16567) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
2) Mix well for 30 seconds then place in an ice bath for 10 minutes.
3) Centrifuge for 10 minutes at 1500 x g.
4) Decant 2 mL supernatant to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube and freeze. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- If less than 1 mL of CSF is added to collection tube, pH of the supernatant will be too low for testing.
- Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 2 days; Frozen: 4 weeks
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0080312||Pyruvic Acid, CSF||14122-6|
- Pyruvate (Pyruvic Acid, CSF)
- Pyruvic Acid