- Patient Preparation
- Whole blood using either a syringe or green (sodium or lithium heparin), lavender (EDTA), or pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- 1) Immediately after blood is drawn, add exactly 1 mL whole blood to a chilled pyruvate collection tube containing 2 mL 8 percent (w/v) perchloric acid. (ARUP supply #16567). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
2) Mix well for 30 seconds then place in an ice bath for 10 minutes.
3) Centrifuge for 10 minutes at 1500 x g.
4) Decant 2 mL supernatant to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube and freeze. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- If less than 1 mL of blood is added to collection tube, pH of the supernatant will be too low for testing to be performed.
- Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: 1 month; Frozen: 6 months
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|