Preferred initial screening test for G6PD deficiency. For genetic testing, refer to Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (G6PD) 2 Mutations 0051684 for individuals of African ascent or Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency (G6PD) Sequencing 2007163 for individuals with other high-risk ethnic backgrounds.
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Yellow (ACD Solution A), green (sodium or lithium heparin), lavender (EDTA), or pink (K2EDTA). Enzyme most stable in acid citrate dextrose (ACD).
- Specimen Preparation
- Do not freeze. Transport 3 mL whole blood. (Min: 1.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Hemolyzed specimens.
- Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: Unacceptable
7.0-20.5 U/g Hb
Patients who have recently received transfusions have normal donor cells that may mask G-6-PD deficient erythrocytes.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
- G-6-PD (Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase)