- Patient Preparation
- Overnight fasting specimen is preferred.
- Serum separator tube. Collect on ice. Also acceptable: Plasma collected in EDTA, sodium fluoride/potassium oxalate, sodium citrate, or ammonium oxalate.
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow serum specimen to clot completely on ice. Serum must be separated from cells and frozen immediately, otherwise lipase continues to break down triglycerides, giving rise to elevated levels of nonesterified (free) fatty acids. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL FROZEN. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Heparinized or non-frozen specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 4 hours; Frozen: 1 month
1 month-9 years: 0.50-0.90 mmol/L
10 years and older: 0.10-0.60 mmol/L
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0080120||Fatty Acids, Free|
- Free Fatty Acids