Aids in detection of folate deficiency.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Protect from light during collection, storage, and shipment. Mix specimen well. Transfer 1 mL whole blood to an ARUP Amber Transport Tube.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL FROZEN. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Non-frozen specimens. Clotted specimens.
- Hematocrit must be performed and indicated on the test request form. If the patient has not received a transfusion or experienced excessive bleeding between the RBC folate draw and the hematocrit draw, any hematocrit drawn within 24 hours of the RBC folate draw is acceptable.
- Ambient: 2 hours; Refrigerated: 4 hours; Frozen: 2 months
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0097130||Hematocrit (client supplied)||20570-8|
- Folate, Red Blood Cell
- Folate, Red Cell
- Folic Acid
- RBC Folate
- Vitamin B9