Use to detect hepatobiliary dysfunction. Do not order to detect inborn errors of bile acid metabolism. May aid in diagnosis of intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy.
- Patient Preparation
- Patient should fast for 8 hours prior to collection.
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow specimen to clot completely at room temperature before centrifugation. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Body fluids. Heparinized specimens. Hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 3 months
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0070189||Bile Acids, Total||14628-2|
- Bile Acids, Total
- Bile Salts, Total