Use to detect hepatobiliary dysfunction. Do not order to detect inborn errors of bile acid metabolism. May aid in diagnosis of intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy.
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Patient should fast for 8 hours prior to collection.
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow specimen to clot completely at room temperature before centrifugation. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Body fluids. Heparinized specimens. Hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 3 months
Reference interval applies to fasting specimens.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0070189||Bile Acids, Total|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, please click the sidebar link to access the Interface Map.
- Bile Acids, Total
- Bile Salts, Total