Aids in detection of vitamin B12 and folate deficiency in individuals with macrocytic or unexplained anemia, or unexplained neurologic disease.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube. Also acceptable: Green (sodium or lithium heparin).
- Specimen Preparation
- Protect from light during collection, storage, and shipment. Allow serum to clot completely at room temperature before centrifuging. Transfer 2 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Amber Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- EDTA plasma. Hemolyzed or refrigerated specimens exposed to light for more than 24 cumulative hours.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 2 hours; Refrigerated: 8 hours; Frozen: 3 months
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- B12 & Folate
- B12/Folate, Serum
- Folate & Vitamin B12
- Folate and Vitamin B12
- Folic Acid
- Vitamin B9