Obsolete test for prostate cancer screening; preferred test is total prostate specific antigen (0070121) in conjunction with digital rectal exam.
- Patient Preparation
- Specimen should be obtained before rectal examination, biopsy, prostatectomy or prostatic massage, since manipulation of the prostate gland may lead to elevated PAP levels persisting up to 24-48 hours.
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow specimen to clot completely at room temperature. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Frozen. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens refrigerated more than 24 hours or left at room temperature more than 3 hours.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 3 hours; Refrigerated: 24 hours; Frozen: 6 months
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0070120||Prostatic Acid Phosphatase||20420-6|
- Acid Phosphatase
- Acid Phosphatase, Prostatic Isoenzyme,