Thyroid Releasing Hormone (TRH) Stimulation of Prolactin, 30 Minutes
Quantitative Chemiluminescent Immunoassay
Within 24 hours
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube or plasma separator tube. Also acceptable: Green (sodium or lithium heparin). Collect separate tube for each timed specimen.
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow specimen to clot completely at room temperature. Separate serum or plasma from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum or plasma per timed specimen to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- EDTA plasma.
- After separation of cells: Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: 48 hours; Frozen: 3 months
Failure of prolactin concentrations to double in response to TRH in patients with low or undetectable baseline concentrations of prolactin suggests pituitary destruction or ablation. In contrast, patients with hypothalamic disease usually respond to TRH, but the response may be delayed compared to normal persons.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0070117||TRH Stim Prolactin 30 Min|
- Prolactin (TRH) (Thyroid Releasing Hormone (TRH) Stimulation of Prolactin, 30 Minutes)