Diagnose and screen for primary hyperaldosteronism.
- Patient Preparation
- Supine: 1. Both specimens should be obtained between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. (after at least two hours in supine position); 2. Normal sodium diet (100-200 mEq/day) for at least three days; 3. Receiving no medications known to affect renin-aldosterone system.
Upright: 1. Both specimens should be obtained before noon (after at least two hours in upright position, seated or standing); 2. Normal sodium diet (100-200 mEq/day) for at least three days; 3. Receiving no medications known to affect renin-aldosterone system.
Contact Medical Director if more information is needed.
- From either a supine or upright patient, serum separator tube AND lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA). Do not collect in refrigerated tubes.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate from cells ASAP. Transfer 1 mL serum AND 2 mL EDTA plasma to individual ARUP Standard Transport Tubes and freeze immediately. (Min: 0.5 mL serum AND 1.2 mL EDTA plasma)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL FROZEN. Separate specimens must be submitted when additional tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Refrigerated plasma. Hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 1 month
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|0070015||Aldosterone, Serum||Effective May 16, 2011|
| ||Aldosterone/Renin Activity Calculation||Effective May 16, 2011|
Less than 25
An Aldosterone/Renin Activity Ratio of greater than 25 is suggestive of hyperaldosteronism if the aldosterone concentration is greater than 15 ng/dL.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0070074||Aldosterone/Renin Activity Calculation||30894-0|
- Aldosterone and Plasma Renin Activity
- Aldosterone serum
- Aldosterone/Renin Activity
- Renin Activity