Diagnose and screen for primary hyperaldosteronism.
- Patient Preparation
- Normal sodium diet (100-200 mEq/day) for at least three days. Receiving no medications known to affect renin-aldosterone system.
Supine: Both specimens should be obtained between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. (after at least two hours in supine position).
Upright: Both specimens should be obtained before noon (after at least two hours in upright position, seated or standing).
Contact Medical Director if more information is needed.
- From either a supine or upright patient, Serum Separator Tube (SST) AND Lavender (EDTA) or Pink (K2EDTA). Do not collect in refrigerated tubes.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection.
Serum: Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
Plasma: Transfer 2 mL EDTA plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube and freeze immediately. (Min: 1.2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Both specimens should be submitted together for testing.
Serum: Frozen. Also acceptable: Refrigerated.
Plasma: CRITICAL FROZEN. Separate specimens must be submitted when additional tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma collected in citrate, heparin, or oxalate. Hemolyzed specimens.
- Serum: Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: 5 days; Frozen: 1 month
Plasma: Ambient: 6 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 1 month
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|0070015||Aldosterone, Serum||Effective May 16, 2011|
| ||Aldosterone/Renin Activity Calculation||Effective May 16, 2011|
Less than 25
An Aldosterone/Renin Activity Ratio of greater than 25 is suggestive of hyperaldosteronism if the aldosterone concentration is greater than 15 ng/dL.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0070074||Aldosterone/Renin Activity Calculation||30894-0|
- Aldosterone and Plasma Renin Activity
- Aldosterone serum
- Aldosterone/Renin Activity
- Renin Activity