- Patient Preparation
- Plasma separator tube (PST), serum separator tube (SST), or plain red.
- Specimen Preparation
- Serum specimens must sit for 15-20 minutes for proper clot formation and to assure the absence of fibrin in the serum, which can interfere with this test. Separate serum from cells within 24 hours of collection. Transfer 2 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens exposed to repeated freeze/thaw cycles. Test ordered for tumor markers or on males.
- This test is not appropriate for tumor marker studies and should not be performed on males.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 year
For tumor marker testing, order Beta-hCG, Serum Quantitative (Tumor Marker) (0070029).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0070025||Beta-hCG, Serum Quantitative||21198-7|
- Beta hCG, quantitative, female
- Chorionic gonadotropin
- Human Chorionic Gonadotropin
- Total Beta-Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, female