- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube or green (sodium or lithium heparin).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 2 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Tissue or urine. EDTA plasma. Grossly hemolyzed or lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 3 months
Female 3 years and older: 0.0-5.1 pg/mL
Provocative testing (calcium) is suggested in patients with MTC if the calcitonin is not clearly diagnostic.
The Siemens Immulite® 2000 method is used. Results obtained with different assay methods or kits cannot be used interchangeably. Calcitonin is useful in monitoring medullary thyroid carcinoma. The calcitonin assay value, regardless of level, should not be interpreted as absolute evidence of the presence or absence of malignant disease.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
- Human Calcitonin