- Patient Preparation
- Actively growing organism, in pure culture.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport sealed container with pure culture on agar slant or on a swab in bacterial transport media. Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. If culture is suspected of being a microorganism listed as infectious substance affecting humans on IATA list, submit specimen according to Biological Substance, Category A, shipping guidelines.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Mixed cultures or non-viable organisms.
- Specimen source required. Indicate suspected pathogen. For suspected agents of bioterrorism, Salmonella or Shigella, notify your state department of health and refer isolates to your state laboratory for identification. Susceptibilities on agents of bioterrorism are not performed at ARUP.
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
For identification of Shiga-like toxin producing E. coli order test E. coli Shiga-like toxin by EIA (ARUP test code 0060047).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
- ID and Sensitivity
- Identification, Aerobic Bacteria
- Organism Identification