Cytomegalovirus Rapid Culture
Aids in diagnosis of active cytomegalovirus infection. Molecular testing is generally preferred.
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA). OR bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL), throat swab, tissue, or urine.
- Specimen Preparation
- Blood: Transport 5 mL whole blood. (Min: 1 mL)
Fluid specimen: Transfer specimen to a sterile container. Transfer 2 mL fluid to a sterile container. (Min: 0.5 mL). Also acceptable: Transfer to viral transport media (ARUP supply #12884). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
Swab or tissue: Place in viral transport media.
Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- CSF, rectal swab, or stool. Whole blood in viral transport media. Calcium alginate, eSwab, dry, or wood swabs.
- Specimen source preferred.
- Ambient: 2 hours; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable.
Culture negative for CMV by early antigen test.
Cytomegalovirus by PCR is a more sensitive method for the detection of CMV viremia and central nervous system infections, especially in the immunocompromised patient. Please refer to Cytomegalovirus by PCR, Whole Blood or Bone Marrow (ARUP test code 0060031) for whole blood or bone marrow specimens or Cytomegalovirus by PCR (ARUP test code 0060040) for CSF specimens.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0065004||Culture, Cytomegalovirus Rapid|
- CMV Culture (Cytomegalovirus Rapid Culture)
- Culture, CMV (Cytomegalovirus Rapid Culture)