Not recommended for routine detection of Chlamydia trachomatis (CT). Use to detect CT in medicolegal settings and to assess suspected treatment failure. May be considered for anatomic locations for which amplified testing has not been validated.
- Patient Preparation
- Cervical, eye, rectal, urethral swab, or peritoneal fluid. Also acceptable for newborns: Nasopharyngeal aspirate, swab or washing.
- Specimen Preparation
- Immediately place swab, fluid, or washing in 3 mL universal transport medium such as M4, M4RT, M5, M6, UniTranz-RT, or UTM (ARUP supply #12884). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connector contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Frozen on dry ice.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Urine. Specimens in any transport media other than indicated. Calcium alginate, dry, or wood swabs.
- Specimen source preferred.
- Ambient: 1 hour; Refrigerated: 48 hours; Frozen at -20°C: Unacceptable; Frozen at -70°C: 1 month
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060859||C. trachomatis Culture||6349-5|
|0060865||C. trachomatis Source||31208-2|
- C. Trachomatis
- Chlamydia Trachomatis