- Patient Preparation
- Typing may not be requested directly on a specimen.
- Herpes simplex isolate from cell culture with infected cells present.
- Specimen Preparation
- Harvest positive cells (3-4+ positivity) from actively growing cell culture and acetone fix the infected cells to a two-well slide OR transfer the infected cells with culture media to a sterile, leak-proof container. Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimen source preferred.
- Ambient: 72 hours; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: 1 month
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0060861||HSV Type 1|
|0060862||HSV Type 2|