Stain: 24 hours; Final negative after 8 weeks
Positive cultures are reported as soon as detected
- Patient Preparation
- Three sputum specimens should be collected at 8-24 hour intervals (24 hours when possible) and should include at least one first-morning specimen. An individual order must be submitted for each specimen.
- Respiratory specimen.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer (for each collection) 5-10 mL respiratory specimen to a sterile container. (Min: 1 mL) Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Multiple same-site specimens (more than one in 24 hours), dry material, or material collected and transported on a swab. Specimens other than respiratory.
- Specimen source required.
- Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 2 weeks
Identification ordered and performed on positives.
Susceptibility performed on all initial isolates of M. tuberculosis complex.
Susceptibility performed on Mycobacterium other than M. tuberculosis complex isolates by request only.
Susceptibility testing of M. gordonae is inappropriate.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060738||Culture, AFB reflex to MTBRIF PCR||539-7|
- AFS, Auramine-rhodamine stain
- AO stain
- AR stain