Comprehensive panel includes acid-fast bacillus culture and stain; positive smears reflex to PCR amplification of M. tuberculosis complex species and rifampin resistance.
Stain: 24 hours; Final negative after 8 weeks
Positive cultures are reported as soon as detected
- Patient Preparation
- Three sputum specimens should be collected at 8-24 hour intervals (24 hours when possible) and should include at least one first-morning specimen. An individual order must be submitted for each specimen.
- Respiratory specimen.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer (for each collection) 5-10 mL respiratory specimen to a sterile container. (Min: 1 mL) Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Tissue or specimens other than respiratory (refer to AFB Culture and Stain, ARUP test code 0060152).
Multiple same-site specimens (more than one in 24 hours), dry material, or material collected and transported on a swab.
- Specimen source required.
- Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 2 weeks
Identification ordered and performed on positives.
Susceptibility performed on all initial isolates of M. tuberculosis complex.
Susceptibility performed on Mycobacterium other than M. tuberculosis complex isolates by request only.
Susceptibility testing of M. gordonae is inappropriate.
Positive cultures are reported as soon as detected. AFB stain, AFB identification of positives, and susceptibility tests are billed separately from culture. Identification of positive culture is billed by individual DNA probes and tests performed. Mycobacterium tuberculosis Complex Detection and Rifampin Resistance by PCR (ARUP test code 2010775) is available for respiratory, CSF or body fluid specimens.
The laboratory should be notified when the presence of Mycobacterium genavense is suspected as this organism will not grow on media routinely used for Mycobacterium isolation.
Susceptibility will be performed on organisms isolated from a sterile source and isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex, Mycobacterium chelonae, M. abscesses, M. fortuitum complex, M. immunogenum, M. mucogenicum. Susceptibility testing will be performed by request only on M. kansaii and M. marinum.Susceptibility testing of M. gordonae is inappropriate.
For AFB susceptibility information, refer to Antimicrobial Susceptibility - AFB Mycobacteria (ARUP test code 0060217).
For AFB culture on blood refer to Culture, Acid-Fast Bacillus, Blood (ARUP test code 0060060).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060738||Culture, AFB reflex to MTBRIF PCR||539-7|
- AFS, Auramine-rhodamine stain
- AO stain
- AR stain