Reference method for identification of most bacterial species.
- Patient Preparation
- Actively growing isolated organism, in pure culture.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport sealed container with pure culture on agar slant or in bacterial transport media.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. If culture is suspected of being a microorganism listed as infectious substance affecting humans on IATA list, submit specimen according to Biological Substance, Category A, shipping guidelines.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Mixed cultures or non-viable organisms.
- Specimen source required. Indicate suspected pathogen. For suspected agents of bioterrorism, Salmonella, or Shigella, notify your state department of health and refer isolates to your state laboratory for identification. For identification of Shiga-like toxin producing E. coli, order test E. coli Shiga-like toxin by EIA (ARUP test code 0060047).
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060720||Organism Identification by 16S rDNA|
- 16S Ribosomal DNA (rDNA) Sequencing
- Bacterial sequencing