Detect varicella-zoster virus (VZV). DFA sensitivity is highest when performed on scrapings from base of lesions. Molecular testing is generally preferred; refer to VZV by PCR (0060042).
- Patient Preparation
- Collect vesicle specimen during first 3 days of rash.
- Vesicle swab, tissue, or skin scrapings. Swab should be rolled in base of fresh vesicle to obtain cells.
- Specimen Preparation
- Immediately transfer specimen to viral transport media (ARUP Supply #12884) and refrigerate (extremely temperature sensitive). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Bone marrow, CSF, or whole blood. Calcium alginate, eSwab, dry or wood swabs.
- Specimen source preferred.
- Ambient: 4 hours; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable
Culture is recommended for any DFA-negative swabs or inadequate samples. Refer to Varicella-Zoster Virus DFA with Reflex to Varicella-Zoster Virus Culture (0060282).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060290||Varicella-Zoster Virus by DFA||5882-6|
|0060341||Varicella-Zoster Virus FA Source||31208-2|
- Herpes Zoster Virus
- Varicella Zoster Virus
- VZV Antigen Detection