Preferred test for detecting Chlamydia trachomatis in variety of specimens. This test does not include confirmation of positive results by an alternative nucleic acid target. If confirmation of positive results by an alternate nucleic acid target is required, refer to Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae by Transcription-Mediated Amplification (TMA) with Confirmation (2011164).
- Patient Preparation
- Vaginal, male urethral, rectal, pharyngeal, or endocervical specimen with APTIMA Unisex Swab Specimen Collection kit (ARUP supply #28907). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
OR First catch urine.
OR Cervical brush in ThinPrep Pap test collection kit. Refer to "Sample Collection for the Diagnosis of STD" under Specimen Handling at www.aruplab.com for specific specimen collection and transport instructions.
- Specimen Preparation
- Swab: place blue swab in Swab Specimen Transport Tube, break shaft off at scoreline then recap tube.
First catch urine: Transfer 2 mL urine to APTIMA Urine Specimen Transport Tube (ARUP supply #28908). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. Liquid level must be between fill lines on tube.
ThinPrep: Vortex ThinPrep PreservCyt solution and transfer 1 mL to an APTIMA Specimen Transfer Tube (ARUP supply #42711). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. To reduce the potential for contamination, ThinPrep specimens should be poured off, using sterile technique, into the APTIMA Specimen Transfer Tube prior to Cytology Testing.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Large white swab included in APTIMA Unisex Swab Specimen Collection kit is for preparatory cleaning of the endocervix and is unacceptable for testing. Specimens in any transport media other than indicated above. Specimens in swab transport media without a swab.
- Specimen source is required.
- Swab in APTIMA Swab Specimen Transport Tube: Ambient: 2 months; Refrigerated: 2 months; Frozen: 1 year
Urine in APTIMA Urine Specimen Transport Tube: Ambient: 1 month; Refrigerated: 1 month; Frozen: 1 year
APTIMA Specimen Transfer Tube: Ambient: 2 weeks; Refrigerated: 1 month; Frozen: 1 year
ThinPrep Media: Ambient: 1 month; Refrigerated: 1 month; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060243||C. trachomatis by TMA||21613-5|
|0060755||APTIMA Media Type||74384-9|
- Chlamydia TMA
- Chlamydia trachomatis by Nucleic Acid Amplification (Chlamydia trachomatis by Amplified Detection (Aptima(R)))
- CT TMA
- Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT)