- Patient Preparation
- Actively growing isolate in pure culture.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport sealed container with pure culture on agar slant or in bacterial transport media. Place each specimen in individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. If culture is suspected of being a microorganism listed as infectious substance affecting humans on IATA list, submit specimen according to Biological Substance, Category A, shipping guidelines.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Mixed cultures or non-viable organisms.
- Isolate identification and specimen source required. Individual antibiotics must be specified.
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
Reporting of MICs can provide the physician with precise information regarding the infectious organism's degree of susceptibility. When this information is coupled with the physician's knowledge of the site and severity of the infection, as well as the pharmacology of antibiotics, a rational choice of the most appropriate antibiotic can be made to suit the individual patient. With the quantitative MIC: (1) susceptibility can be determined for dosages and routes of administration other than those usually prescribed and (2) susceptibility can more accurately be related to the achievable antibiotic concentration in urine, bile, CSF, and other body fluids which may vary widely from the achievable concentration in serum.
This test will bill per antibiotic tested. Susceptibility panels are available for certain organisms. Refer to Antimicrobial Susceptibility by organism type. For organisms where panels are not available, specific agent(s) to be tested must be indicated.
For serious infections with coagulase-negative staphylococci other than S. epidermidis, testing for the presence of mecA may be appropriate and will be performed in order to interpret the results for b-lactam agents.
Daptomycin MIC is available for testing MRSA or VRE.
An additional processing fee will be billed for all organisms not submitted in pure culture, as indicated in the specimen requirements.
If species identification is not provided, identification will be performed at ARUP. Additional charges apply.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060201||Susceptiblity, Individual MIC||21070-8|
- antibiotic MIC
- Antibiotic MIC Susceptibility, Single Drug
- broth microdilution
- E Test
- Minimum Inhibitory Concentration
- Susceptibility Testing