Identify Brucella in blood, CSF, body fluids, and abscesses.
Preliminary-positives: as soon as detected
Final: Negative at 21 days
- Patient Preparation
- Blood in sterile SPS Vacutainer® tube for microbiology (ARUP Supply #24964) or Bactec® Blood Culture bottles. Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. OR abscess, aspirate, body fluid, CSF, or tissues.
- Specimen Preparation
- Adult Blood: Transport 7 mL whole blood. (Min: 3 mL)*
Pediatric Blood: Transport 3 mL whole blood. (Min: 1 mL)*
Abscess, Aspirate, Body fluid, CSF: Transfer to a sterile container. Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag.
Tissue: Transfer tissue to a sterile container and place on gauze moistened with sterile non-bacteriostatic saline to prevent drying.
*Low volume will result in decreased recovery of pathogens.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Swabs. Specimens submitted in anticoagulant other than SPS. Clotted blood specimens.
- Specimen source preferred.
- Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Culture, Brucella