AFB Stain: 24 hours
- Patient Preparation
- Recommended collection: Three sputum specimens at 8-24 hour intervals (24 hours when possible) and at least one first-morning specimen. An individual order must be submitted for each specimen.
- Sputum. OR body fluid, CSF, gastric aspirate, tissue, or urine.
- Specimen Preparation
- Sputum: Transfer (for each collection) 5-10 mL to a sterile container. (Min: 1 mL)
Body Fluids or CSF: Transfer 5 mL to a sterile container. (Min: 1 mL)
Gastric Aspirates: Must be neutralized (pH7) with sodium carbonate if transport is delayed for more than four hours. Transfer 5-10 mL to a sterile container. (Min: 1 mL)
Tissue: Transfer to a sterile container. (Min: Visible)
Urine: Transfer at least 40 mL to a sterile container. (Min: 10 mL)
Place each specimen in an individual, sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Dry material or material collected and transported on a swab.
- Specimen source required. Acid fast stain will not be performed on stool specimens, CSF if less than 5 mL, or urine specimens if less than 40 mL.
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 week
Culture negative for acid fast bacilli.
Identification performed on positives.
Susceptibility performed on all initial isolates of M. tuberculosis complex.
Susceptibility performed on significant isolates of Mycobacterium other than M. tuberculosis complex isolates.
The laboratory should be notified when the presence of Mycobacterium genavense is suspected as this organism will not grow on media routinely used for Mycobacterium isolation.
Susceptibility will be performed on organisms isolated from a sterile source and isolates of Mycobacterium chelonae, M. abscesses, M. fortuitum complex, M. immunogenum, M. mucogenicum. Susceptibility testing will be performed by request only on M. kansaii and M. marinum.Susceptibility testing of M. gordonae is inappropriate.
For AFB susceptibility information, refer to Antimicrobial Susceptibility - AFB Mycobacteria (ARUP test code 0060217).
For AFB culture on blood refer to Culture, Acid-Fast Bacillus, Blood (ARUP test code 0060060).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0060152||Culture, Acid Fast Bacilli|
- Acid-fast (Mycobacteria) Smear and Culture With Reflex to Identification
- Acid-fast (Mycobacteria) Smear and Culture With Reflex to Identification and Susceptibility Testing
- Blood Culture
- MTB Culture
- Mycobacteria Culture
- TB Culture