Monitor respiratory specimens in previously diagnosed patients. Should NOT be ordered without culture in previously undiagnosed patients. For panel test that includes culture and stain, refer to Acid-Fast Bacillus (AFB) Culture and AFB Stain (0060152).
- Patient Preparation
- Sputum or other respiratory specimen.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 5-10 mL specimen to a sterile container (Min: 1 mL). Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Non-respiratory specimens. Swabs from any sites. Prepared slides.
- Specimen source required.
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 2 weeks
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060151||Stain, Acid Fast Bacilli||72357-7|
- AO stain
- Kinyoun stain
- Mycobacteriaum species