Acid-Fast Bacillus (AFB) Stain Only
Auramine O Stain
Within 24 hours
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Sputum or other respiratory specimen.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 5-10 mL specimen to a sterile container (Min: 1 mL). Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Non-respiratory specimens. Swabs from any sites.
- Specimen source required.
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 2 weeks
Negative for acid-fast bacilli.
An AFB Stain alone without culture is appropriate only when following respiratory specimens on previously diagnosed patients. Studies have shown that AFB stain without culture has a poor negative predictive value. For a higher predictive value, order AFB culture (Acid-Fast Bacillus (AFB) Culture, ARUP test code 0060152), which adds an AFB stain.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0060151||Stain, Acid Fast Bacilli|