Reference method for diagnosis of C. difficile-associated diarrhea (turnaround time ≥96 hrs). Preferred initial test is C. difficile toxin B gene (tcdB) by PCR.
Preliminary: Negative at 2 days or as soon as positive detected
Final: Negative at 3 days
- Patient Preparation
- Stool or Tissue
- Specimen Preparation
- Stool: Transfer 5 mL stool to an unpreserved stool transport vial (ARUP supply #40910) OR place 5 mL stool in enteric transport media (Cary-Blair) (ARUP supply #29799). (Min: 1 mL) Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
Tissue: Transfer specimen immediately into anaerobe transport media (ARUP supply #16426), available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Stool: Frozen. Tissue: Room Temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Multiple specimens (more than one in 24 hours), formed stools, or stool in PVA or formalin.
- Unpreserved or preserved Stool: Ambient: 2 hours; Refrigerated: 48 hours; Frozen: 1 week. Tissue: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable.
If Clostridium difficile culture is positive, then Clostridium difficile Cytotoxin Cell Assay (ARUP test code 0060851) will be added. Additional charges apply.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060140||Culture, Clostridium difficile||562-9|
- C. diff culture
- C. difficile Culture
- Culture, Clostridium difficile