Identify bacteria in wounds. Anaerobe culture is recommended for body fluids, tissue, and deep wound/surgical cultures. Refer to Anaerobe Culture and Gram Stain (0060143).
Preliminary: 1 day
Final: Negative at 3 days
- Patient Preparation
- Aspirate, purulent material or swab.
- Specimen Preparation
- Aspirate fluid: Transfer to a sterile container.
Purulent Material: Transfer to a sterile tube or anaerobe transport media.
Swab: Place in Eswab transport media (ARUP Supply #45877) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Syringes with needle attached. Dry swabs.
- Refrigerated specimens are not recommended for recovery of some fastidious organisms such as Neisseria spp.
- Sterile Container: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
Eswab: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 48 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable
Identification and susceptibility tests are performed on significant isolates.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Abscess Culture
- Aerobic Bacteria Culture
- Aerobic Culture
- Bacteria, Aerobic, Culture
- Culture, Wound