- Patient Preparation
- Midstream urine or foley catheter urine. For invasively or straight catheter collected urine specimens order Urine Culture, Invasive Collection (2008116).
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer urine to a sterile container or boric acid transport tube. (Min: 1 mL).
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unpreserved: Refrigerated.
Boric Acid Transport Tube: Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Urine from catheter bag. Multiple (more than one in 24 hours), 24-hour, or pooled specimens. Foley catheter tips (syringe with needle attached). Delayed transport of unpreserved urine (greater than two hours at room temperature or greater than 24 hours refrigerated).
- Specimen source required. Gram stain is performed by request only. Results indicate colony count plus identification of significant isolates.
- Unpreserved: Ambient: 2 hours; Refrigerated: 24 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable.
Boric Acid Tube: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 48 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable.
Identification and susceptibility tests are performed on significant isolates.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
- Aerobic Bacteria Culture, Urine
- Bacterial Culture, Aerobic, Urine
- Culture, Aerobic Bacteria, Urine
- Culture, Urine