- Patient Preparation
- Midstream urine or foley catheter urine.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer urine to a sterile container or boric acid transport tube. (Min: 1 mL).
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unpreserved: Refrigerated.
Boric Acid Transport Tube: Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Urine from catheter bag. Multiple (more than one in 24 hours), 24-hour, or pooled specimens. Foley catheter tips (syringe with needle attached). Delayed transport of unpreserved urine (greater than two hours at room temperature or greater than 24 hours refrigerated).
- Specimen source required.
- Unpreserved: Ambient: 2 hours; Refrigerated: 24 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable.
Boric Acid Tube: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 48 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable.
Identification and susceptibility tests are performed on significant isolates.
Gram stain is performed by request only. Results indicate colony count plus identification of significant isolates.
For invasively or straight catheter collected urine specimens order Urine Culture, Invasive Collection (2008116).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
- Aerobic Bacteria Culture, Urine
- Bacterial Culture, Aerobic, Urine
- Culture, Aerobic Bacteria, Urine
- Culture, Urine