Preliminary: 1 day
Final: Negative at 2 days
- Patient Preparation
- Respiratory specimen: Sputum, tracheal aspirate, bronchial wash. Acceptable for Neonates: Gastric aspirate.
- Specimen Preparation
- Swab: Place into bacterial transport media.
Fluid: Transfer to a sterile container. Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Multiple specimens (more than one in 24 hours). Dry specimens or poor quality sputum (presence of greater than 10 epithelial cells per 100x field).
- Specimen source required. Refer to Bordetella pertussis Culture (ARUP test code 0060117), Corynebacterium diphtheriae Culture (ARUP test code 0060360), or Legionella Species, Culture (ARUP test code 0060113) for special instructions, if requested.
- Ambient: 2 hours; Refrigerated: 24 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable
Identification and susceptibility tests are performed on pathogens.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
- Bacterial Culture, Aerobic, Respiratory
- Culture, General Bacteria
- Culture, Respiratory
- General Bacteria Culture