Gold standard test; detects L. pneumophila and other Legionella species in clinical specimens.
Positives are reported as soon as detected
Final: Negative at 7 days
- Patient Preparation
- Respiratory specimens: Abscess material, aspirates, BAL, fluids, secretions, sputum, or tissue; OR pericardial fluid or blood in SPS Vacutainer® tube for microbiology (ARUP supply #24964). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
- Specimen Preparation
- Fluid: Transfer to a sterile container. Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag. (Min. 0.5 mL) Tissue: Place on gauze moistened with sterile non-bacteriostatic saline to prevent drying and transport in sterile container.
Blood: Transport blood in SPS tube.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Refrigerated. For non-blood specimens: If delay in transport (greater than 48 hours), transport frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Stool, urine, wounds, or other non-respiratory sites. Dry specimens. Specimens in preservatives or viral transport medium (M4, UTM).
- Specimen source preferred.
- Ambient: 2 hours; Refrigerated: 48 hours; Frozen: 1 week
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060113||Culture, Legionella species||593-4|
- Culture, Legionella sp.
- L. pneumophila culture
- Legionella Culture