Preliminary: Negative at 1 day; Final: Negative at 5 days
Positive cultures are reported as soon as detected.
- Patient Preparation
- Aspirate of amniotic, culdocentesis, pericardial, peritoneal, synovial, thoracentesis, or fluid.
OR body fluid collected in blood culture bottle(s), accompanied by original fluid (if possible).
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 5 mL aspirate to a sterile tube, sterile container, or anaerobe gel transport tube. (Min: 2 mL) Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens submitted in anticoagulant other than SPS. Syringes with needle attached.
- Specimen source required. Anaerobe Culture (ARUP test code 0060143) will be performed on properly collected and transported specimens.
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
Identification and susceptibility performed on positive cultures.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0060108||Culture, Body Fluid|
- Culture, Body Fluid