Preliminary: 1 day; Final: 5 days; Positives are reported as soon as detected.
- Patient Preparation
- Specimen Preparation
- Do not refrigerate for bacterial culture. Transfer 1 mL CSF to a sterile container. Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL ROOM TEMPERATURE.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
Identification and susceptibility tests are performed on positive cultures.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0060106||Culture, Cerebrospinal Fluid|
- CSF culture and gram stain