Positive cultures are reported as soon as detected
Final: Negative within 6 days
- Patient Preparation
- Aseptic draw.
- Whole blood in Bactec aerobic resin bottle and standard anaerobic bottle. For infants, use pediatric bottle.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer blood to a Bactec aerobic resin bottle and standard anaerobic bottle using aseptic techniques, as defined for blood culture collection. Site of specimen draw is required (e.g. left antecubital, A-line, etc).
Adult minimum: 3 mL blood (aerobic: 8-10 mL recommended, anaerobic: 5-7 mL recommended).
Pediatric minimum: 1 mL blood (1-3 mL recommended).
*Low volume will result in decreased recovery of pathogens.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- More than four blood culture sets per 24 hours.
- Note in the order if the patient is suspected of having Bartonella, Brucella, or any other unusual organism. Refer to Brucella Culture (ARUP test code 0060159) or Legionella Species Culture (ARUP test code 0060113) for additional information.
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
Identification and susceptibility tests are performed on positive cultures.
Testing is limited to the University of Utah Health Sciences Center only.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
- Bacterial Culture, Blood
- Blood Culture Bacteria
- Culture, Blood