Changed for 07/18/05 Hot Line:
Within 24 hours
- Patient Preparation
- Three sputum specimens should be collected at 8-24 hour intervals (24 hours when possible) and should include at least one first morning specimen. An individual order must be submitted for each specimen.
- Respiratory specimens: Bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL), pleural fluid, sputum. Respiratory specimen processed by NaOH NALC digestion decontamination procedure. Unprocessed specimen is preferred.
- Specimen Preparation
- Unprocessed specimens: Transport 5-10 mL respiratory specimen in a sterile container. (Min: 1 mL). Label as unprocessed.
Processed specimens: Transport 2-5 mL digested/decontaminated respiratory specimen in a sterile container. (Min: 1 mL). Identify method used for digestion and provide smear results.
Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Grossly bloody specimens. Pericardial fluid, or tissue (fresh or paraffin block). Specimens processed by Alpha-Tec Systems. For CSF refer to Mycobacterium tuberculosis Amplified Detection, CSF (ARUP test code 0060063).
- Specimen source required. To perform this test it is essential to know whether or not the submitted specimen has been processed (digestion and decontamination procedure). If it has, smear results must be provided as a comment on the test order or requisition. Delayed turnaround time will occur when the required information is not provided.
- Unprocessed: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 2 weeks
Processed: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: 2 weeks
The manufacturer has not determined the efficacy of this test when performed on pleural fluid. The performance characteristics of this test were determined by ARUP Laboratories.
For CSF specimens refer to Mycobacterium tuberculosis Amplified Detection, CSF (0060063).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0060095||M tuberculosis Amplified Detection|
- AFB by Amplified Detection
- M tuberculosis PCR
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis Detection, NAA
- TB PCR