Test detects the Shiga toxins, sensitive markers of toxigenic Escherichia coli. CDC recommends stool specimens also be cultured for E. coli 0157:H7 (0157 STEC).
- Patient Preparation
- Stool. OR actively growing isolate of E. coli, in pure culture.
- Specimen Preparation
- Stool: Place 5 mL stool in enteric transport media (Cary-Blair) (ARUP Supply #29799) immediately after collection. Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 1 mL)
E. coli Isolate: Transport sealed container with pure culture on agar slant or on a swab in bacterial transport media. Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Stool: Refrigerated.
E. coli Isolate: Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens or isolates from sources other than stool.
- Stool in Transport Media: Ambient: 1 hour; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: 1 week
E. coli Isolate: Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060047||E. coli Shiga-like Toxin by EIA||21262-1|
- Ecoli 0157
- Enteropathogenic E. coli
- Escherichia Coli 0157 Stool Antigen Detection
- Shiga-like Toxin, fecal
- Verotoxin Assay